Monday, November 29, 2010

Exclusive Interview with Poppy Carlig

Indeed Poppy Carlig lived an intense Fall this year. Her participation on Season 10 of "The Apprentice" gave her a new, fresh, an fruitful perspective of the business world, leading her to desire to experience the world of broadcasting one more time. To her surprise, she had found something else special: love. She's beautiful, she's smart, and she's an athlete! Poppy is a competitive synchronized swimmer who won 4 NCAA championship titles while attending college. Now let's see what she reveals today!




Poppy and her mom Auna Longpre.
1.What inspired you to apply as a contestant on The Apprentice? Tell us about the exciting process that you had to go through in order to get accepted! When I graduated from Standford, my plan was to continue on to medical school. However, after gaining acceptance, I realized that the long road to becoming a surgeon wasn't in line with my desire to maintain life-long relationships with patients, or my future desire to have a family where I can be actively involved in my children's lives. I began looking at other careers, and was unemployed during the process. With most of my experience in the Biological field, finding a job that wasn't directly in line with Biology was trying at best.When I found out about the return of "civilian" Apprentice, I decided to go for it.The process went quickly, and before it even sunk in, I was off to NYC for my very first job interview! I only had about 1 week to prepare to leave, and had to purchase business suits and attire. Having never worked, it was like I was given a task before the competition began.... find a New York business wardrobe in 1 week with a limited budget. Good thing I love shopping!

2. How do you feel about the fact that Donald Trump fired you even when you attempted to explain that your partners had agreed on your ideas for Kim Kardashian's fragance indoor display?
When Donald Trump fired me, of course I was disappointed. I went into this experience wanting SO badly to win. However, ultimately, the decisions that were made on the Kim Kardashian Task were mine to approve and put into action. Knowing now that Liza wasn't in favor of the boas and rhinestones, I feel cheated that she never expressed those opinions to me. She did that continually throughout the competition, and I wish now that I had thrown her "under the bus" in the boardroom for being a non-creative, "under the radar" teammate. However, as Project Manager, I must assume responsibility for both my decisions and for the actions of my team, and ultimately was fired.

At  the California Academy of Sciences.
3. You are definitely a young, educated woman with a lot of knowledge, willingness,and passion for life to share with the world.  Do you think that "The Apprentice" experience will influence decisions that you might make in the future and why?
Being on The Apprentice opened my eyes to a world of opportunities and career options. I have come to recognize strengths and assets I didn't know I had until getting a taste of the business world. I also gained a sense of maturity and learned about marketing ideas and catering them to a specific audience. Additionally, after a month of cameras following my every move, I came to enjoy the experience of being in front of the camera. I would love to be in front of the camera again on either the big or little screen. Sports have always been a passion of mine, so perhaps I will step into the sports broadcasting arena. I also have had a lifelong interest in the medical fields, and have recently applied to Dental Schools. Though I may sound like someone who doesn't know where they are headed in life, I like to think that my talents and interests are diverse, so I leave open the possibility of any career I have a passion, aptitude and facility for. No matter what the future holds for me, I will carry this experience and the invaluable knowledge I gained with me forever.

David and Poppy on WOODTV8 Michigan News live!
4. When others did not agree with you, what strategies did you use to sustain and support a point?
When working with other strongly opinionated people, disagreements often happen. I have always been a non-confrontational and tactful individual. Instead of arguing with teammates or dismissing ideas I disagreed with, I chose to listen and respond respectfully - stating both the positive and negative aspects of the idea. Also, I would try to incorporate pieces of other people's ideas with my own in order to gain support and team camaraderie.

5. Congratulations on winning a scholarship on The Jack Welch Management Institute! Are you planning on using it anytime soon?
  I was stunned when Jack Welch offered me a scholarship to The Jack Welch Management Institute. I do plan on using it, as it will aid me in any professional future I head toward. Recently I submitted applications for dental school, and am currently in the process of waiting to hear back from 28 institutions around the country. Attaining an MBA through Jack Welch's program will aid in a future in dentistry, as I will be better prepared to run my own practice.



David and Poppy at a Pumpkin Patch in 2010.
6. I'm pretty curious about your relationship with David! How did the professional dynamic between you and him evolved into something more special despite the  fast paced work pressure and rivalry among all competitors?
After being fired, contestants are moved to a separate hotel, where we are allowed to talk and get to know one another without the cameras.  Though David and I didn't get along during the Macy's Advertisement task, I knew lots of his melodramatic behavior was an act, and a strategy for more camera time. He did say some comedic things, and I figured he was interested in a future in television. The day after my firing, the 11 other fire-ees and I went on a field trip to Ellis Island.We were allowed to split up into smaller groups and roam. David pulled me aside and asked if I would venture with him. I gladly agreed, and the two of us shared the afternoon getting to know one another. After a couple of hours, we went to the gift shop, where he bought us Coke and rock candy, and we sat on a bench to continue talking. I think we were both surprised by how much we had in common, and how well we got along! From there, the rest is history!

Next to her dad Joseph Carlig III.

 7. How do you think you can perform better, working independently, or working collaboratelly in a group, and why? I am definitely a person who performs best working collaboratively in a group. This probably stems from a lifetime of team sports. In middle school, I picked up synchronized swimming - a time intensive sport in which learning to work cooperatively, patiently and efficiently are necessities. Throughout the tasks on The Apprentice, I noticed myself using many of the team-player mentality tactics I used as a synchronized swimmer. I enjoy bouncing ideas back and forth with teammates. Hearing other's ideas and feedback helps improve concepts and make them more marketable to a larger audience. Also, though there may be a project manager, I always believe that there is no "I" in "Team." Leaders who respect this rule are more often than not the ones who are successful.



No comments:

Post a Comment