Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ike Davis Impact Player for the New York Mets


The New York Mets are 9 and 1 since Ike Davis joined the team.

From The New Post:

Ike Davis was called up 11 days ago to provide some power to what had been a Mets lineup desperately searching for some.

And while he showed that pop with a 450-foot homer against Atlanta, he’s winning fans in the clubhouse with the other things he’s doing.

Yesterday, he added to his resume with two more singles and an RBI in the 7-3 win over the Dodgers. He’s now hitting .355 with six RBIs in 10 games.
BOX SCORE
“I kind of saw him as purely a power guy,” Jerry Manuel said. “At this stage of his career, I thought he could be an add-on type of offensive player. . . . But he’s shown me the ability to drive in big runs in big situations and take the ball the other way. It’s a surprise to me as well as impressive to me. I hope it continues.”

His opposite-field RBI single in the seventh gave the Mets an important run — something his teammates have gotten used to seeing.


“He’s given us a shot in the arm,” David Wright said. “He solidifies a pretty good lineup.”

“He’s been a good major league player,” Jason Bay said. “You wouldn’t know he’s been here a week.”
Since Davis arrived, the Mets have gone 9-1.


“If I helped, I hope that’s what I was brought up to do,” Davis said. “I definitely wasn’t the answer to why we won games. The pitching has been unbelievable. And people are starting to hit all over the yard.”
And Davis would like to start hitting it out of the yard with more frequency.


“I’m trying to be a power hitter,” Davis said when told of Manuel’s comments. “When I get to two strikes, I’ve gotta make contact with a runner in scoring position.”

He’s also not ready to give himself any titles.
“Last year, I hit close to .300,” Davis said. “I’m not hitting 40 home runs a year. I’m gonna hit some balls out and hopefully a lot of doubles. I couldn’t say I’m just a power hitter. I haven’t been around long enough to say I’m any type of hitter. Right now, I’m just trying to help the team.”


As long as he keeps up these results, the Mets will take it.

Oh yea, I love the guy!







The Last Tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment