Monday, April 12, 2010

Husband Gives Bible to His Wife’s Killer, an Illegal Immigrant


Here’s a story rarely reported in the press demonstrating Christian forgiveness.

The man who lost his wife to a vicious killer. He didn’t want vengeance, but chose to display grace and forgives to the man who killed his wife.

Good for Pumarejo, a fine Christian man!

From The New York Post:

The judge showed less mercy -- sentencing Andrango to 25-years-to-life.

Pumarejo and his wife, Sandra were married for 19 years, with a beautiful teen daughter, Sarah.

Pumarejo was a maintenance man at a Bronx hospital, his wife was bookkeeper at Michael Dawkins Jewelry on East 65th St., where Andrango, an illegal immigrant from Ecuador, worked running errands.

The store had fired Andrango after he swiped $10,000 in raw gold -- but Sandra showed him exceptional mercy, promising not to call the cops if he'd only pay it back -- even working out a restitution schedule with him.

Andrango stabbed her to death in the jewelry store days later, after paying only $400 back.

"I know that nothing will bring her back," Andrango said today, when given his own chance to speak.

"I didn't think very well before acting," he said, through a Spanish interpreter. "I've lost my family, my children. But I will keep you in my prayers forever all of you," he told Pumarejo, his daughter, and his sister and sister-in-law, all crying in the audience.

"All of you. I can't look you very straight in the face -- I am ashamed."

Then, he added,
"Thank you for the bible. I will take it with me all of the time. I will always read it."
After court, Pumarejo hugged his daughter and his sister, Emma, and told The Post that God has touched him through the tragedy of his wife's death.

He'd felt a stabbing pain in his own body at the moment she'd died, he said -- a sign. Since then, God has told him his wife is in heaven, and that he, too, will be saved through good deeds.

"Now, I want for him to be saved, too," he said of Andrango. "I don't care about the sentence. I just care for his soul."


God shows that type of grace everyday!

Via New York Post

The Last Tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment